Keola La'i
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zero VOC paint

+3
lava
FishCake
Wolverine
7 posters

Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Zero VOC paint

Post  Wolverine Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 am

Does anyone have any experience with low or no VOC (volatile organic compound) paint? Supposedly they have significantly less odor emission than regular paints. Only thing is they cost more, so I am wondering if it's worth the investment. I was leaning over my window last week and could smell the paint drying from my neighbor's unit several floors down (they had their windows wide open for several days).

Thanks,
Brian

Wolverine

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Sherwin Williams Harmony Paint

Post  FishCake Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am

Hey X-Men,
I was really worried about VOC too. I'm trying to make my condo as green as possible with the energy saving bulbs, green cleaners & efficient washing machine. So I was thinking about the paint too. My research took me to Sherwin Williams. Pretty good too. They have a sale - $7 off!! Check out the Harmony collection. This one has ZERO VOC levels. It is more expensive than regular paint. Taking into account of my health, the environment -- so worth it. Plus, this will be in your home for many years to come. Check it out!

FishCake

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Re: Zero VOC paint

Post  lava Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21 am

Is it possible to use this paint for high moisture areas, e.g. bathrooms? I would be interested in hearing more from anyone who has already painted with it.

lava

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Re: Sherwin Williams Harmony Paint

Post  Wolverine Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 pm

FishCake wrote: They have a sale - $7 off!! Check out the Harmony collection...
Is this the Sherwin Williams on King Street after Star Market?

Wolverine

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Green Paint @ Sherwin Williams

Post  FishCake Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 am

Aloha!
The Sherwin Williams I stopped off at is the one on King Street shortly after the Moilili Star Market. Or better yet, it's the one across from Sushi King. I wanted to paint my laundry room a different color just for the fun of it. I had my sight on picking up the no VOC Harmony Paint. Unfortunately, it only comes in a gallon size. Since I only need a small amount, I had to go with another paint product that was available in a smaller quantity. I settled on the Bath Paint because it was low in VOC at 72 and it was available in a quart size. Average VOC levels are in the 200s to high 300s.

I didn't like compromising but didn't really have a choice. Turns out, because the Bath Paint is low in VOC & mildew & moisture resistance it doesn't have the specific chemicals needed if one were to blend the color to a more intense shade. I wanted to do a Kumquat Orange which is this strong orange color. Keep in mind, this is only the Bath Paint I'm talking about that has this slight restriction.

Salespeople there are very informative & helped me choose a lighter shade of what I wanted. Picked up brushes & paid. That day I tried out the paint. First, there's hardly a paint smell. So relieved. I didn't want to be consumed by the smells and get a headache at the end. It's no fun inhaling toxins. Second, the color I had to 'settle' with actually turned out excellent. I love the results! It was worth every penny, expensive it may be, I feel a quality item is finally added to my condo.

So for all those who's interested in trying out their "Green Thumb"...I'd suggest Sherwin Williams.

For more information, check out this link - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/sherwin_williams_products/green/

They should give me a commission for this!

Enjoy!

FishCake

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty Home Depot Too

Post  Uni Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:33 am

they got no VOC paint at Home Depot too..think it's called FreshAire - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_BP_PA_Freshaire_Brand&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Uni

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoda Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Just painted the inside of my laundry closet with zero voc... Amazingly, almost no smell!

Used the Black & Decker PaintStick I saw on HGTV:

Zero VOC paint C8000610

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post  sunjam Fri May 09, 2008 4:18 am

Hey, I've seen a video of that B&D roller ( HomeRight makes one too, I think). Cover an 8'x8' wall in a minute, is that for real?

sunjam

Back to top Go down

Zero VOC paint Empty PaintStick

Post  Element Fri May 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Couldn't believe it, the PaintStick is simply amazing! Will post my review as a separate topic... Aloha!

Last edited by Element on Fri May 16, 2008 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Element

Back to top Go down

Post  Element Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm

I also used Sherwin-Williams paint with the PaintStick... It was the FIRST TIME I DIDN'T GET A HEADACHE WHILE PAINTING! Will never go back to regular paints again!

Element

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum